February 25, 2011
There are a lot of and utilities and applications that supposed to enhanced Mac performance as well as resolve computer problems but only frustrate the user. Many of configuration settings are not handled by the System Preferences tool. As a result more Mac users are considering using third party applications. Cocktail for Mac OS X allows users to take control over their Mac OS X with the use of its simple and easy GUI interface with advance settings.
Like any other application, Cocktail also has a toolbar that is located at the top that allows the users to choose any configuration settings that works for System, Files, Interface, Pilot and Disks. These five categories come with different tabs that also contain other option settings. Like for example, selecting the System category will allow you to select Startup option.
Using this application offers a lot of advantages. Typically, Mac users will get to known deeper about their Mac OS X. This application is used by advanced users of Mac platform that already knows about the in dept of the system. Some Mac users may know how to change the computer Apple settings but some may find it hard. Aside from these capabilities, the application also allows settings for Safari, Mail, Dock and Finder utilities.
Cocktail Pros and Cons
Cocktails plus Factor are the following:
1. The application can change the settings of the system and it requires administrator privileges for better security. The password is automatically saved in the keychain so that it will easier for users to log in without the need to enter password more often.
2. It uses a file browser that prevents filter types not like the operating system of the Mac that is doing.
3. When you select the uninstall option, all settings are return to its default settings. It is quite easy to use because the application can be dragged to Application options.
4. The Help option is available both in online site and the application itself.
5. The application also handles controlling over the network parameters, system and hardware specification and summary of Unix user.
Cocktails minus Factor are the following:
1. Some of the miscellaneous setting of the application is not organized. Although some of it are grouped and in order.
2. The port numbers are not sorted numerically that should be fixed because it is quite difficult to look for port numbers.
3. For not technical savvy on this application, they might wonder what the use for admin password is every time the program is launched.
4. The help options sometimes are not explained properly and users will be left wondering about it.
Cocktail Mac OS X is a helpful utility for your Mac operating system. It allows you to tweak some Mac OS settings but then again the application itself has its positive and negative side. Try first downloading the trial version to try and used it. This will help you determine whether the application satisfy your needs particularly for the Mac system.